Saturday 25 August 2012

Short break to include views of the sea

I picked one of the best B & Bs and we spent three days in deepest Somerset.  King size bed with lovely cotton bedding, robes in the ensuite shower room, fridge on landing with milk, jugs of iced water, lovely bottle of elderflower cordial as well as every type of beverage one could want, and views of endless fields from windows on three sides of the large bedroon...best breakfasts with multiple choices, wonderful eggs, local sausages, bacon, etc, wonderful bread and toast including four types of homemade preserves. 


We spent one day walking along the coast at Hive Cove, sat on the beach, then walked back to the National Trust Cafe on the beach....another day we picked up items from the farmers market at Bridport then went down to the beach at Eype recommended to us by Adrienne and Jack.  We sat on the beach within 4 metres on the waves which crashed onto the beach rolling the stones, and creating fun for the bathers and surfers.  Mr S built me a lovely tower....

A second visit to Barrington Court, years after the first, and the garden was a joy.  I was not asked to write on a little tag about my feelings regarding the Antony Gormley Exhibition: Field for the British Isles....I would have preferred for the rooms to be empty!  I guess each person who made one of the little people would be quite pleased with their 'person', but I feel that this was just a waste of resources, and waste of money!    I enjoyed meeting up with Paul Jessop in his Pottery at Barrington Court, and discussed his making a new bread bin for me, to go alongside my ancient pancheon.

One small town with a big wow factor was Sherborne in Dorset...during the very hot day we found a courtyard behind a second hand book shop, and had a very good light lunch with drinks.  Its just round the corner from Sherborne Abbey, and the Almshouses.


Another treat were the interesting shops on the high street, I came away with a lovely cotton nightdress, and  cotton top from some independent retailers, and a pasta cutter from Salamander, a shop from which I had bought things previously on the Internet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment