Monday 21 August 2017

In a Vase on Monday..Nearly by Moonlight

Its Monday evening, and I have just finished arranging my little vase.  It was late in the day when I went into the garden, and I think we had a strange light on account of the partial eclipse.



Here is my arrangement.  Most of the flowers have been used over the last few weeks...but there were two which stood out in the garden in the poor light.




The first is Iberis Gibraltarica ex Betty Swaison.  A seed must have taken a ride in one of the pots, and managed to get a root hold beneath another plant.  I love the large candy tuft like flower, and will be sure to keep more seed, as it is a short lived perennial and quite hardy.  There are the antirrhinums, asters, mints, astrantia, grape and ivy.



The little hardy fuchsia whose name I cannot recall is also making its first appearance.

From a cutting of Penstemon Heavenly Blue there was just one flower stem, but removing it is bound to help the plant to branch out.


Cathy is showing some true grit and even posting a vase whilst away.  Do go and see what she is showing and also what other IAVOM contributors are coming up with.

12 comments:

  1. The fuchsia always remind me of dancing fairies - so delicate and wistful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...and such a variety of colours too.

      Delete
  2. This is really pretty Noelle. I love Iberis but am amazed it is flowering in late summer as mine only flowers in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, here it flowers all year long, except in the very coldest part of the year, and probably for about two years after which it is 'worn out'. The seeds just germinate and after a little while there seems to be just the right amount of plants at the stage of flowering to have a nice effect.

      Delete
  3. I love the way plants arrive in pots and spread themselves around. I have a few which travelled here with us. Your pinks and whites are very pretty and the white does sing out. Such a pretty fuchsia too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a big fan of Iberis I just love the one you've featured. The fuchsia is nice too as is the penstemon, which has great color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful arrangement. The Iberis is new to me and when I had them it was an early spring flower as were the Snapdragons. So interesting how things grow in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With this meme, we can see how plants behave in different countries...of course here these two can flower in May...just depends when they are down and planted, and the weather.

      Delete
  6. Look at the length of the stigma of the fuchsia - amazing!! Aren't these asters pretty? Definitely on my annual sowing list now. The antirrhinum and candytuft work really well with them in your vase

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, yesterday Mr S pointed out a bee crawling right into the middle of the fuchsias..had not realised they were quite so attractive to bees.

      Delete
  7. Very pretty, Noelle! It surprised me to see snapdragons and asters in the same vase as the 2 don't bloom at the same time in my climate. My heart did a little flip-flop over the fuchsias - I miss them in my current hot, dry, excessively sunny garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, I have a hot sunny garden, but the snapdragons and asters are in a bed that has morning shade. This is the second or third flush for the snapdragons. Pleased you enjoyed the fuchsias. Still you have some gorgeous arrangements...I love seeing what everyone comes up with.

      Delete