Monday 14 August 2017

In a Vase on Monday - Stars

In the wee small hours this morning, I tiptoed into the garden...I just could not sleep, and wondered whether I would be able to spot some shooting stars.  It was not to be, it was around 3:30 am, and then slowly the sky began to cloud over.



This morning at the breakfast table I have something to brighten up the day.  The vase is like a glazed stone with holes in it...and it just the right shade of green...picked up in a Charity Shop some time ago.

The little yellow flowers of the Sedum Kamtschaticum variegatum  are the stars in this arrangement.  I love the way the leaves have a narrow cream margin, and the flower buds are tinged pink, then open to a golden yellow colour.  This colour is then echoed in the nasturtium, and also the leaves of the Japanese grass Hakonechloa macra Albostriata.  I wonder whether this is the correct name since the striata are more golden than white! Maybe it is Aureola.

This is a picture of the sedum at Tatton Park, where I first saw it, but where it had been sold out.



My plant came from the pop up stall in Wells where Tadham Alpines set out their tantalising range.  We are very fortunate to have plant growers at both the Wednesday and Friday markets, and pop up stalls, as well the special events at the Bishop's Palace Gardens.

Cathy who hosts this meme has some rich coloured blooms in her arrangement this week...and a plant I may well have to acquire for the garden:  it is Persicaria 'Fat Domino'..Do go and have a look at her arrangement, and maybe even join in with this meme.

10 comments:

  1. The simple green glazed vase is made stunning with those sedum flowers....I don't think I have ever seen such a happier flower! Love this vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could not find how to post on your blog Donna, where there is much of interest.

      Delete
  2. What a refreshing and sunny little posy this is, Noelle - it jumped off the page at me when I opened your post :) The contents complement each other perfectly and the flower stone shows them off well. These stones seem such a good idea but in practice it is hard to get blooms to stand up in them but they look fine in yours. Fats Domino is indded worth having - the flowers are quite chunky compared to other persicarias. Sadly mine is still too new to consider offering offshoots...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love looking out for new plants for my garden...inspired by all the posts. Thanks Cathy.

      Delete
  3. The sedum and the nasturtium complement each other so well, Noelle! I grew the same sedum for a time and loved the flowers it produced but the plant died out quickly, which is unusual for succulents here. However, seeing it again in your post, I think I'll have to hunt down more and try it somewhere where it'll get a bit more water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not seen this sedum before - it is a beauty and you've placed it well in your arrangement - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds dangerous to have plant stalls at your market quite so often. This is such a pretty arrangement for the table and so sunny. Could I swap a bit of my white sedum for a bit of this little yellow one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been out and prepared and potted three cuttings for you Alison...hope this results in at least one plant. From the one plant earlier this year, I had three cuttings and all are now flowering. I do exercise a little self restraint, but a plant is better than a bunch of flowers!

      Delete
    2. Oh, thank you.
      I agree and if you choose the right one you can have the plant and a bunch of flowers.

      Delete
  6. Using these sedums in a vase is a great idea! They look so pretty in your lovely vase. I have several small sedums in my rockery, and must try using them when they next flower too.

    ReplyDelete