Monday 19 June 2017

In a Vase on Monday - So hot it feels like Dragons are about




It is so hot, there are dragons around.....
A cool looking vase....SNAP...two dragons
Pale  Snapdragon
Dark Red dragon







It is already 25 C as I arrange the flowers this morning.  Roaming the garden early this morning I felt grateful that the few plants which I brought from Warwickshire have got their feet in the ground, and are giving a flower or two.

With a few items from shrubs already here: yellow Potentilla, purple sage, variegated periwinkle and ivy


Grass Hakonechloa macra Albostriata
White cornflower Centaurea Montana Alba
Astrantia major 'Sunningdale Variegated'
Persicaria Red Dragon just showing its little white flower

Purple whirly flower...please can anyone give a suggestion as to its name.  A type of nepeta? I've lost the label, and had not written it up in my book.  I think it is time for me to start a new book for my new garden.

A spike from the Antirrhinums planted up in the front garden.

The Persicaria from my first vase a couple of weeks ago is already growing roots, and will be ready to pot up as soon as it cool enough!

Cathy our Chief of the IAVOM talks about Zero...the temperature of the ice-cubes we are making for our drinks...hers is a 'cool' ....meaning elegant contribution of flowers growing by her stream.  So do go to her post and also look at what other contributors have in their gardens this week.

Through gardening and flowers, I often come across charming and enthusiastic people...I was walking along Market Street in Wells, which is a cut through just past the main bus station to the 'City', and came across a lovely stall of locally grown posies.  I chatted to Becky from Branch and Bloom, admiring her lovely posies, which came with their own chic containers, created from flowers grown in her garden.  An instant Vase for any day for people living in apartments, or coming to visit the City; her flowers will be the nicest of souvenirs, or decorations.


10 comments:

  1. Lovely combination. I particularly like the white centaurea complimenting the bold antirrhinum, and the way the grass cascades downward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eliza...I'm having to water all my newly planted specimens...and planning on improving the water retention for next year.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely selection you have found from your parched garden, Noelle,including the fiery dragons - it will be worth the effort in the long run to water in all the things you have moved from Leamington as they will all have have brought memories with them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Near Leamington...yes I am watering things very carefully...so many happy memories, and plants from fellow gardeners and friends too.

      Delete
  3. The contrast between the dark foliage of the Persicaria and the white flowers is wonderful, Noelle. Now I know I REALLY need to propagate my own 'Red dragon' and move it somewhere it can grow happily and produce stems worthy of cutting for a vase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's certainly hot but your arrangement is cooling me down. It's so fresh looking. The shape is very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison...and each stem of red dragon is growing roots, we coulc meet up in a couple of months time and I can pass a plant to you, if you would like one.

      Delete
    2. That sounds good. I rarely turn down a plant!

      Delete
  5. That is a lovely cool fresh arrangement - hope it helps keep you feeling cool in this heat! I have made a cutting from my Red Dragon and hope to have as much success as you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A gorgeous arrangement, nicely balanced.

    ReplyDelete