Tuesday 6 September 2016

Made to measure tea cosy

I can hear one of my friends laugh at this...no its not dressmaking, or making of other bespoke garments...but a real essential if you like tea.  Its a tea cosy.  I introduced Marie Claire to the joys of tea made in a teapot with a teacosy, soon after we met.  This is the third cosy I have knitted for her.  The first one fitted a tall teapot which sadly met its fate when it fell onto a stone tiled kitchen floor.



Marie Claire's teapot this time is a round glass pot.  I had a nice grey brown aran weight yarn, which would blend in nicely with any tea stains and begged a length of red yarn from a knitting friend at the Almanack Knit and Natter group for a little red understated embroidery highlights.  The teapot had to come and stay here for a couple of weeks, as there were several fittings.



I had my brief...everything covered including the spout...so I made a heart shaped flap, which bends back easily for pouring.




Of course a base to keep the bottom warm, and shield any table, catch drips etc...knitted in the yarn doubled up.


When I thought I had finished I could see the red plastic strip of the handle along the glass, so knitted up and sewed in a 'fly' which easily tucks in and I had fulfilled my brief.  Yesterday I took it round, and there were hoots of appreciation!

No comments:

Post a Comment