Monday 27 June 2016

In a Vase on Monday- Roses

May I post this and legitimately link it to Cathy's meme?  Today she is putting her feet up after opening her garden, and has posted about this.

The Vase is a jug, the flowers are in it, but I took them for a friend.  Well when I say a friend, Helen was my teacher for a few weeks, and at several workshops:  mixed media painting, mosaic and buttons.  I am posting on Monday!

Mr S and I had walked down to Helen's  launch night for Open Studios a week or so ago.  We had spied a lovely love token which we wanted to have to mark our anniversary, and which will have pride of place.  I made a beeline, and made sure a little red sticker was added, and left the piece for others to admire, and I do believe that Helen received several commissions because of this.

Saturday saw torrential rain storms, and I had promised to collect the piece then.  In between the torrents, I ran into the garden and picked these blooms, dethorned the roses and made a hand tied posy.  Both of us are suffering from hayfever at the moment, which has meant few flowers in the house.  I have so missed joining in with Kath's meme, that I thought  I would take these roses for Helen, but first photograph them for my vase this week.


Princess Ann, Gertrude Jekyll and Munstead Wood Roses, with a little alchemilla mollis, leaves from my pot grown Hosta which this year is without holes as I put some copper tape round the neck of the pot, and some Valarian

11 comments:

  1. Your roses are gorgeous and the alchemilla mollis sets them off nicely. Glad you were able to protect the hosta leaves using copper tape. I've seen tips for that but haven't know if it worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too was a little dubious. I bought the tape last year, and during Christmas I treat myself to a few hours pottering in the garden, and one the jobs I did was put the tape on my hostas, before the slugs went in to feed. I'll post up a picture of the pot soon. It really works a treat.

      Delete
  2. Oh we had similar thoughts for a vase this week....mine were peonies instead of roses...and oh those roses are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, your peonies are lovely. So many petals, so much better to cut the flowers, than pick up all the petals after a few days!

      Delete
  3. That looks a real 'old-fashioned' vase Noelle, and doesn't the alchemilla set the roses off well? My first season GJ is not yet in flower, but of course I am hopeful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that some of the David Austin roses take a couple of years to get going, the bare rooted ones at least. The ones I bought growing in pots during the summer, have fared much better. Now they are several years old, the pot grown ones are still better.

      Delete
  4. The roses made a beautiful, bountiful display, Noelle, and I'm sure the recipient enjoyed them. I look forward to seeing your new table with flowers on it (after hayfever season).

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely gift - you did so well to pick them before they were destroyed by the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your roses are some of my favourites, and beautiful with the alchemilla. What a good idea about the copper tape! My hostas in pots have been decimated this year - will try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was dubious about the copper tape...but it really does work, but you have to make sure there are no resident slugs to trap in your pot!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful roses, especially the deep red one. I also use copper tape and it usually works, but it seems it doesn't bother some of the snails we get here!

    ReplyDelete