Saturday 16 March 2013

Calligraphy Pen Roll


For the past few weeks, I have fumbling around the bottom of my bag for my pens...at the best of times I find looking for things a pain, so I thought it was time I put my implements together.  I've looked on line, and in art shops, and just could not find the right thing.   Last Sunday Mr S said, why not make one?

This led to a look through my stash of fabrics, and I found a couple of great complementary fabrics, with some green which I could cut up into a binding for the edge.  I chose a light fabric as I would be able to see my pens, nibs etc clearly, found the wadding and backing fabric too.  I also found a reel of lovely old thread of matching thread which belonged to Mr S's mother.  From just after lunch, to early evening, I was cutting and sewing...and then the following day, I hand stitched the edging.  Its ages since I had my machine out, so had to get used to that again, and had the cutting mat & wheel out to make sure all the sides were nicely square.  All in all well worth while.

I started to learn to sew just over five years ago, and my teacher was a fellow member from Kenilworth WI, so in homage to her, and for her birthday, here is my second card, totally original, incorporating various techniques  learnt during my first term of calligraphy lessons....its far from right, but have learnt a few things along the way too...

No comments:

Post a Comment