Thursday 8 September 2011

Kenilworth & District Horticultural Society

Last night was our main show of the year. This year I entered. Staging started at four o'clock, so Mr S passed the car to me, so this year I was able to enter a few more things.
This is a picture of my runner bean wigwam taken a few weeks ago, and now
it has come up trumps!


In the afternoon I went out to pick some runner beans and sorted through, to find sufficient to stage 6 similar ones. I was so pleased when they not only won first prize, but also Certificate of Merit, and The Barnet Cup for best in the Vegetables Section...... I had been competing with people with large gardens and allotments.

Two pot plants: flowering and foliage also won prizes.
In the Home Produce Section, the Marmalade won first, best in section for preserves, and the Kenilworth Horticultural Society Cup. I also had first prizes in the jam and scones section. My lemon drizzle got 2nd prize.....I baked mine according to schedule....the one which won first had been told that the recipe had typos, when I was baking I was not sure of the recipe, but I have been given 'not judged - not as per schedule' so I stuck in there.....oh well....nice for others to win a prize too! Its actually very good. Except for the scones which I gave a friend, and also the runner beans, the cake in now in the freezer, ready for a later date. I brought the marmalade home for the photo shoot, and because I need my stash to last till January.



There were so many people entered, they had to put up extra tables compared to the previous year, and squeeze exhibits in. The mayor and mayoress: Mr and Mrs D Shilton were there to present the prizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment