Wednesday 22 June 2011

Summer Baking

Lots of scones made with goats milk and butter, and finding that 'Pure Sunflower' which is Dairy Free works very well too in baking, as in the Victoria Sponge, I am finding wonderful ways to use this season's strawberry jam. The pure web site has given me lots of ideas as well as helping find gluten free recipes for baking for friends.




Just in case I get too confident, from time to time, I come up with a flying crust.



I have now 'cruised' the Internet and think I have found how to avoid them in the future, but there is no definite cause. I shall slash, put ice cubes in the bottom of the oven, and not over prove...we'll see.... Its strange that I baked four loaves in this batch, and this was the only loaf like this one!












We've had some splendid cherries this year. A sponge with ground almonds in place of some of the flour, and the top sprinkled with pitted cherries, slivered almonds and demerara sugar, was the basis of a tasty pudding. The remainder of the cherries were braised in the oven. Whilst still warm, I plated up portions, drizzled them with some delicious mixed berry liqueur, and dressed up the plate with sheep's yogurt topped up with the cooked cherries. The bake is also excellent cold either as cake, or dressed up for pudding with whatever one fancies.














She liked this so much I made it twice....My sister Lizzie has been here on several occasions over the last couple of months, and Lemon Meringue Pie is one of her favourite puddings. Just don't work out how much sugar there is here.....I love making the filling, as lemons are grated and squeezed, and eggs are broken, the magic of cooking turns them into the most delicious of fillings....but using an egg yolk in the pastry, means I can make an even bigger meringue!























No comments:

Post a Comment