Friday 5 June 2009

Hearing from a well loved friend

This friend I feel I have known fore ever. It is an honour to call her Aunty.

Like my mother and a number of English Women, Aunty P left England to settle in a very far off land, with her Mauritian husband in the early fifties. This was before the days of easy or affordable plane flights, and after Suez was closed, the sea passage via South Africa took several weeks, there were no emails and cheap phone calls.

I received an email from Aunty P containing a 'blessing' . It originated in the form of a round Robin . What I liked was that it started with:
Remember to make a wish before you read this.

The bit about sending it on to x number of people did not really appeal to me. I'm one of these people where many of these pyramid type things grinds to a halt! Having thought what a lovely blessing this was, I have decided to write this out here, and many more people than x may read this , but they will not necessarily feel that they have to do anything further.


Remember to make a wish before you read this:

May today be there peace within.
May you trust that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith in yourself and others.
May you use the gifts you have received and pass on the love that has been given to you.
May you be content with yourself just the way you are.
Let this knowledge settle in your bones and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love.
It is there for each and everyone of us.


Aunty P, and many other women like her and my mum, had met up with their husbands and then went out to settle, and bring up their families in Mauritius. These Mauritian men, many of them having volunteered and fought alongside the British Army during WW II, afterwards studied in fields of their choice. Younger men than my father had to wait until after the war to start on the foreign studies.

Afterwards, many of them wanted to return home and contribute to their home land. They returned with their British Wives, yes I remember English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh and  Channel Island 'Aunties'. Like my father, many of these young men were the cream of the students for their years, having won scholarships to study at overseas Universities. Mauritians really value education, and today Mauritius has an excellent University, but still parents sends their children to study abroad, making great sacrifices to pay for their children's education.

1 comment:

  1. I was just browsing through the blogs on the internet and stumbled apon yours ....lovely lovely lovely ! : ) I will be sharing this little " good wishes " meditation .Have a lovely day..have a beautiful Christmas . DaisyDebs x

    ReplyDelete