Sunday 2 November 2008

Halloween Treats

I look forward to seeing the kids dressed up in their finery. I love dressing up myself and am seriously thinking of getting dressed up next year to give the T & T a laugh when I answer the knock to the door. I had my first taste of Kenilworth Trick or Treat evening last year, and this year I decided to dish out Twix Bars. Why did I choose these? Well they are my favourite snack bar as I try to kid myself that they are like Millionaire's shortbread which is really my favourite sweet pleasure. If they did not all go, I could add them to my 'no longer secret' stash. Mr S has discovered them at the back of the ingredients cupboard. Why was he looking there I wonder?

On Friday I stayed home after a hectic day on Thursday looking around Coventry and coming home with new curtains. I looked through all my recipe books for ginger biscuits, but somehow I did not have all the ingredients required so improvised and this recipe has now been written up as otherwise, I can't be convinced that I will remember it quite the same next time.

I would have been happy to give the Twixes away and have the biscuits. We had so many callers, all really well dressed and very well behaved, and nice to see that younger ones were accompanied by parents, that almost all the biscuits and Twixes went. I'll be making a second batch of my biscuits very soon.



Here is the recipe, and if you make them up, do let me know whether you like them. Next time I make them, I'll take a picture to post.

Noelle's Trick & Treat Biscuits.

170 g Plain Flour, sieved with 1/2 tsp baking powder & 1/2 tsp salt, together with the following spices: 1 tsp ground ginger, 1tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg, 1/2 tsp ground cloves

Melt 110g butter and add 110 g caster sugar and 85g dark muscavado sugar.

When it is cooler, add 1 beaten egg, and 5 pieces of crystallised ginger finely chopped.

Combine the dry and liquid ingredients, and allow to cool a little and roll into approx 35 small balls, place on baking parchment and flatten with a fork. Bake in a preheated oven No 2/3 for twenty minutes. They cook very evenly, and when cool if they do not seem that they are crisp enough, they can go back in the oven for a little longer. When baked at this lower temperature there is less risk of them catching.

My trick in these biscuits were the pieces of ginger. Most of the children nibbled on them straight away and all of them thought they were lovely, and appreciated a home made effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment