Monday 26 May 2008

Bullimore Woods

A walk with a group from the Kenilworth WI was organised last Thursday, and off we went. It was a lovely warm morning and I cycled over to to Joyce's house and parked up there, as I had no idea on how to get to the woods even with a map. Although the bluebells were nearly over, one could see just how wonderful it had been a couple of weeks back. We focused on the trees and I was amazed by the wide variety: tall majestic ash trees, ancient oaks, tall beech, old hazel which had not been copiced for years, there was a patch of larch too, and some trees I could not identify. There were four of us walking and afterwards we went over to Joyce Hatwood's for lunch in her garden. Freda was there waiting for us and I liked this. Freda is also part of the Tuesday afternoon craft group, and now has difficulty walking. It was great to see as she is such wonderful company.


Going with people on walks has so many advantages: you get to know people on a different level, share your love of nature, and many eyes see so much more, and get to places you may not have reached otherwise. Bullimore Woods is approached through a narrow alley between two houses almost at the the end of Bullimore Grove. One of the walkers lives in a house backing onto the woods, and it had been years since she had been in there, and she told us how she used to take her grandchildren there for picnics when they visited.



Whilst we were walking I remembered the wonderful talk given by Steven Falk on the Trees of Warwickshire at the NCCPG, and the other ladies thought it would be wonderful if Steven could come and give the talk to our group. As the Chairlady has asked for suggestions for speakers next month, I've sent off an email to Steven at Warwickshire Museum asking whether he would be able to talk to us. I visited the site he has set up for a survey of the Trees of Warwickshire and Bullimore Wood is listed there, and I also found out that there are six other ancient woodlands in Kenilworth. I shall put it to the group that we explore some of the other woods.


Next day, Friday, as soon as Mr S arrived back, we organised ourselves to get out there, and this time I took my camera as I wanted to get a picture of the unidentified tree. Here it is:

The tree splits into five large trunks with lower branches some 25 feet above ground. The bark is quite remarkable and there was no other similar tree in these woods. If anyone has any idea do let me know. It was not the normal lime.




1 comment:

  1. Lovely photo's, loved the blue bench.

    Do you think it could be a Lime Tree?

    ReplyDelete